Friday, November 5, 2010

New Ventures and Horror Stories

When I came back to Fairmont for my fourth trip back for invoicing, I knew that my company had been bidding on work in Southern California, and that if we were awarded the job, there was a really good possibility that I would be transitioned over to that job. And, I was aware that if we got the job, things could move pretty quickly. So, I decided to give my notice at my apartment complex and move have my 'stuff' moved to CA, so I could be a little more mobile.

So, before I came back, I started looking at moving companies, trying to figure out who could give me the best deal on coming and loading my belongings and delivering them to our house in CA. I contacted several companies for bids, made the decision and booked my move for October 1. I was going to be in Fairmont, and I figured I could have the movers come, take everything, I'd sell a few items and then I'd just have to worry about cleaning and painting the apartment. And, I'd have the next trip to Fairmont when I could finish things up. Right? WRONG!

The movers came, as scheduled on the morning of October 1. I showed them around and showed them what I needed packed and taken. The 'leader' was Israeli and had a thick accent, so I had trouble understanding him. But he was very clear in telling me that I had much more 'stuff' than what they had estimated. The girl who did my estimate, based it on a very thorough inventory list I'd given her, but apparently she underestimated and this guy was telling me I had about double what she had estimated. And, since they had only allowed for so much space on their truck, he would have to charge me 1 1/2 times more per 100 cubic feet over the amount they had alloted for me. GREAT. So, I asked that they pack the specific larger items and we could reasses after that. I was also told up front that credit cards were accepted for payments. But the crew leader told me they never accepted credit cards and I had to pay him with cash or money order. He basically insisted that I go to Walmart and get a money order with my credit card for him. I argued. I was LIVID at this point. So, I had to call the company in Atlanta, to fight with them over this. The manager there told me the girl who did my estimate was wrong and they did not accept credit cards. He threatened to cancel my move. I was pretty tough about this and I told him if he cancelled my moved I would be on the phone with the Better Business Bureau within 10 minutes. The guy actually raised his voice to me, asking 'Are you threatening me?!' But in the end, he backed down and let me use a credit card to pay for the pickup. Hurdle #1 jumped.

So, the guys proceeded to pack my stuff. They were friendly enough, althought I didn't trust them at all. The leader had told me how he went to West Point and had been in the military, had a degree in Engineering but he couldn't spell 'kitchen' to write 'kitchen table'. So, whatever.

After about 4 hours, they had packed and loaded much of the important stuff I had, but there was still about 1/3 of my stuff left and they seemed pretty rushed at that point. The leader told me that the boxes I had of my clothing and personal items would be cheaper shipped via UPS. They left behind several of the larger items I had told them needed to go, also. So, after he scammed me for an extra $150 for the little bit of extra space I took on the truck, I paid them and they left. And I had to figure out what to do with everything I had left. They didn't take any of the clothes in my closet, and left behind about 6 boxes I had already packed.

I ended up spending every evening the following week, going through my stuff and trying to figure out what to throw out or give to Goodwill and what I could pack and ship back to CA. HUGE disappointment and hassle. Luckily I had a company pickup truck and could pretty easily take loads to the dumpster and to Goodwill. What a mess! But, by the end of my trip, I made alot of progress. I sold some things on Craigslist, and some were spoken for. But there would be much left to do when I came back for the beginning of November.

Stay tuned! Another horror story is coming up, about the delivery of my 'WV stuff'!

No comments:

Post a Comment